NGOs have a range of accountabilities within the humanitarian architecture.
At the country level NGOs should:
- Understand the humanitarian architecture in both theory as well as local practice.
- Take the time to share major humanitarian decisions and discuss the strategic objectives of the response with partners and local community leaders.
- Be engaged, pro-active and strategic in your interactions with the NGO consortia (if it exists) clusters, OCHA and the Humanitarian Country Team.
- Devote time/human resources to co-lead a cluster at the national or sub-national level.
- Utilize and contribute to collective resources such as humanitarianresponse.info
At the global level NGOs should:
- Understand the humanitarian architecture in both theory as well as function in the country programs within your purview.
- Bring field realities to policy discussions via the IASC task teams, reference groups, research institutes and the global NGO consortia.